Tuesday, March 24, 2009

16 Week Doctor Visit

I am 16 1/2 weeks along already. So far the time is flying by. I think maybe it helps that I am so busy at work these days with the project I am on. Even the work days are flying by!

We had our 16 week appointment this morning. My lovely husband came with me. I wasn't exactly sure we would be doing for this one. Of course it's not the 20 week one that we have our eyes on! My doctor is great. We really like him. He takes the time to explain things very well and answers all questions that we may have. The problem is, this sometimes causes him to be late for his appointments. I think we waited 45 minutes at our last one. Today when we got back to the room the nurse said that he wasn't even in the office yet and there was another patient ahead of me. What the heck?! I think we only ended up waiting about 20 minutes, but STILL! He came into our room and David and I both had our iPhones out entertaining ourselves.

Anyway, all he did for this appointment was check the baby's heartbeat. We have tried to use a heartbeat monitor at home, but have had no luck in actually finding it. The doctor found it instantly! It was beating pretty fast, but I couldn't help thinking that it was slightly slower than what it could have been. So...I think that means we are having a boy! We'll see if that actually turns out to be true. I may look back at this post and have a good laugh!

The heartbeat sounded great to the doctor, so we were set to go. What? That's it? I did also ask him about my headaches. He prescribed me Tylenol with codeine, but I probably won't get it filled. He said to try caffeine too. I had not had ANY since I got pregnant, so this could definitely be contributing to the headaches. So...I had a soda for lunch today. It was so delicious! And while I was drinking it...I did not have a headache. As soon as it was gone...headache was back! So...do I just sip on soda all day long or something? Like I can do that. He said caffeine once in a while was okay...not to make caffeine drinks my only beverage. So alas...I am probably stuck with these headaches for a while yet. Such is the life of a pregnant lady!

We also scheduled the date of our big ultrasound...the 20 week one where we get to find out what we are having! Yay! April 21st has been marked on our calendar. The moment of truth will arrive for my husband who is sure we are having a boy. ;)

4 comments:

  1. get used to the quick appointments...they will almost all be like that now! Mine went like this:

    Weight check
    Blood pressure check
    Doc: how are you feeling?
    Me: blah blah blah
    Doc: here's what's happening now, any questions
    Me: blah blah blah
    Doc: Ok, let's check the heartbeat and we'll see you in a month
    As long as you don't have to wait long for the doc, you're in and out! :)

    Just to be different, I'm guessing it's a little girl in there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing its a girl too! ;) I was wrong with Katie though, so I'm sure I'll be wrong again! haha.
    Glad you got to hear the little ones heartbeat! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to hear baby's heartbeat - it really is a miraculous sound, isn't it? Did the doctor share with you what the heartrate was? My boys were usually in the 150's. I'm thinking you're having a girl - your dad is going to have to continue to wait for a boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The suspense is KILLING me! You would think I was pregnant with how excited I am for you guys!

    I hate to go against the crowd here, but I really do think you're having a boy! Just this gut feeling I have....... You better post and email as soon as you know!!! =-)

    ReplyDelete