Friday, October 24, 2008

Light Bulbs

What would you do if you saw a light bulb in it's box on the bathroom vanity and had a light bulb that was burnt out?  Well gee, I guess I would change the light bulb.  Seems like a logical thing to do.  Right?

Why is it that things just don't go that smoothly?  I must be getting clumsy in my old age or something.  Is that something that happens to you when you get older?  I was clumsy enough to begin with!  Anyway, I take the old light bulb out...and crashing down it goes!  I have a million little pieces of light bulb everywhere.  So I curse under my breath and go get the broom.  My husband hollers something.  I think asking what happened.  He was in the next room...yes, you guessed it...in front of the computer.  I start cleaning it up thinking that maybe he would offer to help or maybe he would come see what happened.  He did come into the bathroom eventually.  (I think he waited just long enough to make sure that I wouldn't ask for him to help me clean it up.)  I was already in a pretty foul mood by this point though.  Our conversation goes like this:

Him: "Were you trying to change the light bulb?"
Me: "Yes, what does it look like I was doing?"
Him: "Why are you mad at me?"
Me: "Because this light bulb has been sitting on the vanity for weeks and you didn't bother to change it when you changed the other one."
Him: "Well, that's because this one is the one that I replaced."
Me: "Why would you change a light bulb and then leave the burnt one on the vanity forever?"
Him: "Oh, well, you're so good at throwing things away right away."
Me: "This is not about me.  We are talking about you right now."
Him: "How can you get on me for something when you do the same thing?"
Me: "Just get out of here then."

I shooed him out of the bathroom before I started crying.  Not only did he NOT offer to help, but he berated me for something that was totally irrelevant.  He has this habit of bringing things up about ME when I am trying to make a point about HIM.  It's always an eye for an eye.  If I don't do something once, then next time he is going to make darn sure that he doesn't do it either.  It's like he is trying to get back at me or something. Does he do it so that I realize that it was wrong of me to do it too?  Does anyone have any ideas on what his reasoning might be?  This happens to me a lot, so it would be really great if I could get some sort of insight into this behavior. 

Is this really the same guy that just last night stopped to help a blind man cross a busy street in downtown?  

4 comments:

  1. Haha...ummm...yeah...welcome to married life! Don't worry my friend, we've all been there with our spouses. It's definitely frustrating, but I think couples who are compatible in so many ways have to have arguments about the "little" things so that they can still vent frustrations. Fighting about light bulbs is healthy! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. does he do this because he knows it really bugs you? Jay is like that with things.

    Must be a guy thing?
    it's annoying though!

    Next time just ignore it? Maybe he's just doing it to get a rise out of you, and it won't be as 'fun' for him if you don't let it bother you? Easier said than done, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are able to talk about things right away so that definitely helps. I do think that he does things to get under my skin though! I will see if I can just ignore him next time. Yeah, right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's from Hawaii, it's their culture to be oblivious.

    ReplyDelete