Sunday, January 25, 2009

A First Birthday

David's godson, Elijah, turned one on Saturday. It's hard to believe that it's been a year already since he was born. He's walking all over the place now.

Elijah got to have his birthday party on his actual birthday. His mother asked me if I would make his birthday cake for him. I was kind of shocked. I had just made one real cake, the banana one I made for David's birthday back in November. I certainly did not consider myself any kind of cake expert. So...what could I say? Yep, I agreed to it. All week I was trying to figure out what I was going to do for it. I wasn't stressed about it, but it was always in the back of my mind. I had to buy a cake carrier and a cake decorating kit. And then I decided to use a balloon candy mold for the top of the cake, so I had to get that as well. I guess now I won't have any excuses to do cakes since I will have all of the supplies! Ha!

On Friday night I made one white cake mix, and I called my mom to get her frosting recipe. (Couldn't really fathom making a cake with any other kind of frosting!) I made two round 9 inch cakes and then saved a little to make a mini cake to give to the birthday boy. I don't know what it was, but they didn't really seem to raise very much. My two layer cake looked pretty lame. So on Saturday morning I made another cake mix. I baked another 9 inch cake and another mini cake. These of course got really big! So...I ended up using them all. Yep, I made a triple layer white cake and a double layer mini cake. It took me all morning to frost and decorate them. I wonder if I am just really slow or if I am too much of a perfectionist!

Anyway, I was pretty happy with how they turned out. They seemed to be a big hit at the party too! They let Elijah dig into his own little cake. He didn't even get very messy! I was thinking that it would be bath time afterwards, but he just got his hands dirty. Elijah's great-grandma told me that it was the best cake she had ever eaten. Seriously?! I thought that was quite the compliment! As long as Elijah and his parents liked it, that was what really mattered!

Here's a few photos of the masterpiece. Reminds me a lot of the cakes Mom always made for us growing up.


5 comments:

  1. Great job on the cakes - they do look like the ones your mom used to make for our birthdays growing up! Happy 1st Birthday, Elijah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did a great job!!! It turned out very well, especially for a first time attempt. If you had known ahead of time you could have borrowed all my stuff. Grandma made a cake on Friday and it didn't rise either. She said that was the first box mix she could ever remember that flopped. Rose said she had one do the same thing. Maybe there was a bad batch out there or maybe it was the weather. By the way Elijah is adorable.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap he's cute!!!
    The cakes look AWESOME!! I'm impressed! Did you frost between the cake layers, or just put them all together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time you posted to this blog! I've been reading about guacamole for over a week! Haha... Anyway, awesome job on the cakes!!! Just remember...Lili's birthday is July 9th (I'm thinking a Strawberry Shortcake theme this year) and Will's birthday is October 30th (maybe monkeys????)...you might want to start thinking about what you're going to do now, since you seem to be quite the perfectionist!

    =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Good job! They do look just like the fancy ones mom always made for us :) You're hired for the next birthday party I have to go to! Actually...mine might even be next! ;) haha!
    You and Katie definitely got the creative genes of the family. What the heck did I get?!

    ReplyDelete