Thursday, January 8, 2009

Goodbye Boss Lady

Tonight I went to a farewell happy hour for my boss. Her last day is tomorrow. She has been the only manager that I've had since I started working there. I have mixed feelings about her leaving. On one hand, I'm sad because she has been a great manager. She's always just left me alone to do my thing. I appreciate that so much! She's also been an advocate for me and always had my back. Isn't that how a boss should be? I guess I may have been a little jaded after my last boss...so this was such a nice change. On the other hand, I do think it opens up opportunities. I'm not sure that I want to be a manager of 9 people and take over her job, but I also don't think that is what the department will do with her position. You just never know though with them. Ideally I'd like to do project management work where I can both manage and do hands on IT work. It would be hard to just give up the hands on piece. That's what I really like about the job now...making things happen! Anyway...the office is going to be weird next week without her there. I was just really starting to bond with her in a non-work sort of way. Hopefully we'll keep in touch after she leaves. At least I will always have a good reference!

2 comments:

  1. My brother and sister-in-law just referred me to www.thinkgeek.com. I think you should start spending money there because you sound so much more motivated and smarter than me! =-)

    Seriously though...sorry to hear you're losing a good boss. There is definitely a shortage of them in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you're losing a good boss. Change at work sucks, especially when things are going well!

    ReplyDelete